because you are His
Our worth, we struggle with it- I’d encourage you to stop that silly waste of your emotional energy, but I realize the futility of such a demand, because I know how we battle with it. The journey to discovering our self worth is sometimes painful, other times it is marked with such beautifully profound "a-ha" moments we could have never imagined, either way, it's a necessary journey. One that demonstrates that experiences along the way shapes the destination. One I hope we all fearlessly take.
I think we are genetically and socially wired for this battle about our worth. Let’s face it, we instinctively care about others and consequently, what they think and say matters to us. When you couple this with a society that has created an impossible and ever changing mold of the ideal...it’s the perfect self esteem storm.
The silver lining? You can take yourself off of this roller coaster ride- sound easier said than done? Of course. Isn’t that how most things worth having are, easy to say but harder to achieve? But isn’t it also true that anything worth having is worth fighting for? Alas, your freedom from the shackles of worry, doubt and fear that you are not worthy is as important a fight as any you will have in your lifetime and it goes without saying that it is worth it- you are worth it.
So how do we define our worth? Before we get to that, let me offer an abbreviated list of what DOESN’T define our worth:
How we look
How much we weigh
If we have children
If we don’t have children
Where we grew up
Where we call home
If we work
If we don’t work
If we wear makeup
If we don’t wear make up
If we wear current trends
If we opt for our tried and true wardrobe
If we drive a nice car
If we opt to take public transportation
If we live in a nice home
If the shelter is home tonight
If our kids make all A’s
If our kids struggle to make it in school
If our kids play piano, sing, dance or any other talent
If our kids prefer not to engage in extracurricular activities
If we blog
If we don’t blog
If our blog is popular
If our blog has never been read
If we are religious or spiritual
If we are not religious or spiritual
Worth is not defined by anything external
Worth isn’t something we hope to acquire over time
Worth isn’t something that we earn by being smart, beautiful, saying all the right things, being witty and behaving, as we “should.”
Worth is simpler than that...
Worth is yours
Worth is mine
Because…. we are His! And because you are His you can say...
I am worthy, now
I was worthy, yesterday
I will be worthy, tomorrow
Right here, right now, you are enough, just the way you are. You and your beautiful soul are worthy!
Do you want to know what God thinks of you? Look into His Word and you’ll find it there in black and white.
– You are PRECIOUS – Isaiah 43:4 "Because you are precious in my eyes and glorious, and because I love you
– You are ONE OF A KIND – Psalm 139:14 - "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well."
– You are FAVORED – Psalm 5:12 -"Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield"
– You are BLESSED – Numbers 6:24-26- "The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine on you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
– You are LOVED- John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
So the next time you may be feeling less than, remember that you are His and He has plans for you.